Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Jogjakarta: Day 1

Today had many new discoveries! We spent most of our morning at the internet cafe wasting time, and in the afternoon we visited Borobudur Temple. This is the biggest Buddhist temple in the world! We took an hour bus ride to it and I got a student discount! Woohoo! One of my favorite things about Jogja is the 'welcome drinks.' We got some free tea at our hotel and free drinks at the temple. They usually have coffee and tea and maybe a bottle of water.

We got to the temple and it was raining and dark.. of course. Before we even got out of the car we were bombarded with folks trying to sell us umbrellas and postcards and such. They are persistent here. We walked a little ways and finally saw the temple! Behind it were mysterious, foggy mountains. We climbed up all the stairs to the top. Kadi and I got in trouble for climbing too much, haha. But they still loved us because we are white. True story. The temple was huge and intriguing. Unfortunately, it closed about an hour after we got there so we only got to do minimal exploring. My ticket says it is World Heritage List Number 592!

As we walked to the car, we were bombarded once again by these guys selling little statues and elephants and postcards. One of them looked like Cody Cheeves, so that's what we called him. I was such a good bargainer wtih Cody, that I got this little statue for 60 cents! I hope his boss doesn't get upset with him, haha. Poor Cody.

Tomorrow is going to be AMAZING. Please visit http://www.viaviajogja.com/

Kelly, Kadi and I signed up for the Jamu and Massage tour, and here is the description:
Find out about jamu (traditional Indonesian medicines). You visit a herb market, jamu shop and a home industry, you make your own cleaning face mask and massage oil and enjoy a traditional massage.
Oh, just $15. No big deal. Also, I signed up for the ViaVia Cooking Course! I am learning to make Gado-Gado and this other traditional chicken meal that is cooked in coconut milk! Woooo! I am super excited.

I am excited about the medicine one because I am sort of sick right now. I've had some pretty bad allergies. Tonight it started to rain and it just hit me. I am constantly blowing my nose, which sucks because tissues/toilet paper are pretty scarce. I have to sneeze every second as well. Boo! Hopefully this rain will wash it all away :)

I am uploading photos to my flickr as we speak! Hopefully it won't take 100000 years.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14675788@N02/

No comments:

Post a Comment